Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Artist Statement

Art is the big picture of all things that are able to express who you are and what you stand for. It's a outlet for showing off one's personal achievements, hardships and creativity. Art, to me, is all around. Everything in the world inspires me to create a photo or an outfit as a way of expressing how I feel. Art means to me the feeling that someone is going through shown indirectly to the rest of the world. When I'm creating a photo or outfit I let myself run into what may inspire me, not look for it. Most of my inspiration comes from other people and their advancements, style, or downfalls. I look at people then morph their look into something I'm able to create with my own resources. So far the type of work I've created isn't showing through to my creativity as much as I would have hoped it too. I feel sometimes like I've held back from what I truely want to capture. Sometimes I even feel that I'm scared to take a picture or wear a certain outfit because of what people will think, it won't look unique, or how I will look in the outfit. It may look good in my head, but I put it together and it never turns out the way I want it too look, whether it's too simple, or too complex.
Annie Leibovitz is a photographer of the modern era who currently shoots celebrities mostly, and surpasses the normal portrait turning the body into art. Leibovitz uses techniques to do with lighting, she plays around with her subjects to appear plastic like and pure. She surrounds the subject with neutral colors that make the face or skin of the subject pop. They are sometimes fantasy like and take place in nature when she's not shooting celebrities. I think that she makes a strong statement when she's taking her photos. Especially when her infamous celebrity pictures that grace the pages of Vanity Fair they capture a controversy or hardship in their lives. It's simple and captures the the feeling of the subject. Click here to see Annie Leibovitz shot of Queen Elizabeth II shot in 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment